Holy moly! Things now seem to be going! I'm quite happy with all this.

First of all, I clearead all the bugs in hfsprogs, including a very long standing bug in Apple's code that prevented me from compiling everything in 64-bits.

Now, the package compiles under all arches, which is amazingly great. I also took the opportunity to tell Applethat I have patches that I want to push upstream. Let's see if they are indeed open to collaboration.

I'm learning to use the marvellous quilt to clean up some code of others. With a bit of discipline, things get quite easy to work with. A good tool can, indeed, make one's job much easier.

Oh, an TeXlive 2009 was just uploaded to experimental, which means that it will soon reach unstable. I am already using it and it is quite nice (actually, I've been using it for a bit longer than this, but the fact is that it is now available everywhere). Thanks Norbert, Frank, Hilmar and Co.

On some other news, I am now maintaining "my" version of two nice packages:

  • Amarok 1.4, which, although abandoned upstream, is much more useful (and lighter on resources) than Amarok 2. I have updated it with some patches and things are much nicer.
  • grip, a very nice CD ripper, which seems to be dead upstream, but which has some good patches that are extremely easy to integrate. Coincidentally, Christian Marillat has, one day after I started working on grip, packaged a version to put in his repository. I think that we could join some forces maintaining it.

Oh, and the biggest news of all: writing manpages is easier than ever. I always edited Perl's pod files as a way to avoid writing *roff code directly and using the pod source to generate the manpages. But I used Emacs's Perl mode. This way, Emacs shows the pod source as a comment, without recognizing the structure of the files. That's not a problem anymore. Russ Allbery just hinted me at the fact that Emacs offers a pod-mode. Amazing.

blog comments powered by Disqus